Monday, January 28, 2008

26 JAN 08: one of the best places to learn Salsa

It’s been a couple of days since I’ve written. I haven’t found a computer that will give me access to the page to post something so the entries will probably be a day behind.

26 Jan 08, Saturday: We had interviews and site tours most of the day. I got to ride around and drive an up-armored SUV that our client borrowed. It looks like a regular SUV from the States, you know, the ones that are everywhere in the suburbs and that bully all the other cars on the road. Anyway, this one probably weighs twice as much as those and the doors take a lot of muscle power to open and close. The plate glass windows seem like they are almost an inch thick, but I can’t really tell. We were thinking that it probably doesn’t get any more than 8 miles per gallon because of its weight. You press on the gas pedal and it’s like getting a locomotive to start. I could be exaggerating, though, because I have never owned an SUV or a truck so I have no idea how heavy those things are. All I know is that it was like driving a locomotive on the roads compared to the station wagon and sedan we own. I actually felt pretty cool driving it.

We got to tour a big hangar and also some of the areas on the airfield. We met with the Romanians who were very happy to speak with us and show us around their area. We also got to meet with some Polish soldiers. One of the best parts of traveling to these parts is that you get to meet lots of different kinds of people and because everyone is in Iraq, a lot of the personal barriers dissolve. People like to speak with new faces they haven’t seen before and they are typically more open about themselves than you would expect outside a war zone.

I hope that one of the many things that comes out of this situation in Iraq is that new relationships are started between countries, that existing relationships are made stronger, and that the relationship with the host country (Iraq) evolves into one of long-term commitment toward reconstruction, economic growth, and identifying those who cause harm because they are threatened by these goals. I want so much for this country to return to the time when they were able to freely celebrate arts, culture, education and economic prosperity. That’s my personal humble hope, but I also realize that there are many of my Western ideals which may or may not be translated into the Iraqi culture the same way that I experience them. I roomed with an Iraqi translator last week. She had lived here when she was younger and now she had traveled to the U.S. and Australia and New Zealand. She had the same hopes I did, but she did say that the Iraqi culture is very hard to understand because it has always been complicated and unique. That coupled with conflicts and dictatorship has generated a culture that is even more complex. I was very impressed with this young lady. She has come over here to try to do what she can to restore the country which she understands she comes from, but to which she cannot relate to her day-to-day life. I hope she stays safe.

On Saturday night we also had a short Salsa lesson. It turns out that one of the Senior Airmen in the office we’re working in is Cuban from Miami and used to be a dance instructor. He teaches class here as a way to help pass the time to whomever is interested. Our two clients, Chris and I lined up as he explained the robotics of each of 4 steps. I’m sure we were a sight…camo clothing, muddied boots, in a small office. Last year I fly-fished for the first time in Baghdad and this year I had my first Salsa lesson here! I think there is going to be another class on Tuesday which I hope to get to. I have been wanting to take dance lessons for a looooong time and since there’s nothing to do here other than work, it will be a good opportunity to squeeze a couple of introductory lessons in.

No comments: